So when I came across this recipe, a couple of things caught my attention. There were ingredients and techniques in here that I hadn't seen in my other tomato sauce adventures, and naturally, I needed to know what they were all about.
At its heart, this is a pretty straightforward tomato sauce. But then the recipe tells you to brown an ENTIRE tube of tomato paste. The whole thing. For a recipe that serves four! I have never used that much tomato paste in a single recipe, so I was definitely curious about where this was headed.
Turns out, that caramelized tomato paste is doing some serious work. It gave the sauce a much deeper tomato flavor, along with this subtle nuttiness that I really wasn't expecting. That's honestly the best way I can describe it. It wasn't an obvious "nutty" flavor, just a little something extra in the background.
The recipe also called for 1/4 cup of wine. I skipped it because I wasn't about to open an entire bottle of wine for four tablespoons. Instead, I used 1/4 cup of vegetable stock. I'm sure the wine would have added a little more depth, but honestly, the vegetable stock worked just fine for me.
Pro tip: If you're adding cream or milk to a tomato-based sauce, warm it up a little first. You're basically tempering it so it doesn't get shocked when it hits the hot, acidic tomato sauce. If you dump cold cream straight into the tomatoes, it can curdle. It will still taste perfectly fine, but visually? Not exactly the look we're going for.
Would I make this sauce again? Probably not. It was good, but I don't think it needs to replace my standard tomato sauce.
However... I may absolutely steal the caramelized tomato paste trick and add it to my regular recipe. That little step brought more flavor to the sauce than I expected, and I'm always happy to steal.
- 12 ounces cavatelli pasta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 (4.46-ounce) tube tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can pureed or crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

No comments:
Post a Comment