I stuck pretty closely to the recommended 30-ish minute marinade. There was A LOT of lime in this marinade, and I wasn’t about to let all that acid turn my chicken into something with a questionable texture. Acid does things to chicken, y’all. And not always good things. Blech.
I also ran into the lemongrass problem. I couldn’t find it—or, more accurately, I wasn’t willing to pay what they wanted for it. So I improvised with a tablespoon of lemon juice and a little lemon zest to bring in that lighter citrus flavor.
And you know what? This chicken was fantastic! The lime didn't get lost in the marinade at all. It actually tasted like lime chicken, which is exactly what I was hoping for. I’d absolutely make this marinade again. Finding a recipe where the lime gets to be the star is apparently a bigger accomplishment than it should be!
My one mistake was I forgot to keep marinade aside to drizzle later. Didn't really miss it to be honest.
- juice and zest of 2-3 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (solid / creamy stuff in a can for a creamier sauce)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste (or fresh grated lemongrass, if you have access!)
- half a jalapeƱo pepper, ribs and seeds removed
- 1 clove garlic
- small bundle of fresh cilantro
- small bundle of fresh mint
- Everything Else
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 cups rice, uncooked

No comments:
Post a Comment