You all know my Dad was the undisputed king of ribs. He had them down to an art, and everyone wanted his ribs at every gathering. I’ve spent years trying to live up to that legacy, and I think I’ve come pretty darn close with my “Famous” ribs. At this point, all I have to do is mention making them and somehow I’m suddenly hosting dinner.
The first time we made them for a group, the table went completely quiet. Not because everyone was speechless, but because they were too busy eating. The only sounds coming from the table were occasional “mmmm” noises. That’s when you know you’ve got a winner.
Those ribs are still my tried-and-true favorite. But I have a whole collection of other rib recipes I want to experiment with. The problem? I always chicken out and make my usual ones instead. Not this time.
Blueberry was coming over to hang out for a while, and I knew she’d be willing to be my guinea pig. So I decided it was finally time to try something new: Nana’s Ribs.
I have a soft spot for recipes that have someone’s name attached to them. I always find myself wondering about the person behind the recipe. Who was Nana? What was she like? How many times did she make these ribs for her family? The creator of The Food Charlatan explains that Nana was part of her husband’s family, and apparently Nana knew exactly what she was doing.
These ribs were incredibly tender. Like, ridiculously tender.
The recipe has you bake the ribs first and then finish them on the grill so the barbecue sauce gets all charred, sticky and caramelized. Sounds fantastic, right? It was—except the ribs kept falling apart every time I tried to move them to the grill.
And I mean falling apart.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with ribs that are so tender the meat practically slides off the bone. In fact, plenty of people would probably consider that the ultimate rib achievement. These were delicious, without question.
But I personally like my ribs to have just a little more structural integrity. I want to pick up a rib, get my hands messy and gnaw the meat right off the bone. With these, I just had to look at them and the meat would fall off.
Still, I certainly wasn't going to complain while eating them. Tender, saucy, caramelized and delicious? Yeah… I had no trouble filling my plate. And then filling it again.
- heavy foil
- 7 pounds racks of ribs*
- 6 ounces Applewood rub**, you might need more!
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4-8 drops Tabasco sauce
No comments:
Post a Comment