Monday, September 28, 2026

Street Corn Chicken Rice Bowl

Y’all…we have a new favorite.

Blueberry was over for dinner tonight, and she completely agreed. This one was a winner.

I had a few questions going into this recipe, mostly about the corn. The recipe mixes it with a combination of Greek yogurt and mayo, and I just couldn’t picture how that was all going to work together. Corn? Yogurt? Mayo? Was I sure about this? Turns out, I was very wrong to question it.

That corn mixture was the star of the show. It was creamy, tangy, sweet, and ridiculously good. And then there was the lime. They called for a certain amount, but I increased it because I like my lime flavor to announce itself when it walks into the room. No regrets. Not even one.

I did cut back on the cilantro because Blueberry isn’t a fan. (She’s a weirdo.) The lime, yogurt, and mayo sauce was seriously fantastic. I could have eaten it with a spoon and called it dinner.

And now I'm already thinking about the next time I make this—which, let's be clear, is a when, not an if. I think turning that corn mixture into a sort of pico de gallo situation would be amazing. We already have almost everything we need. Just add tomatoes. Why not?

My other big change was the rice. Instead of plain white rice, I made my cheater Mexican rice—basically rice cooked with Knorr tomato bouillon. It was absolutely the right choice and went perfectly with everything else.

So the final verdict? Off-the-charts delicious. Easy, flavorful, and just different enough to make dinner feel interesting.

And really, what more could I ask for? Easy and delicious are two of my favorite words in the recipe vocabulary.


Street Corn Chicken Rice Bowl
Recipe from Spend with Pennies
Serves 4
  • 2 cups cooked white rice
  • 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil more as needed
  • 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
For the Street Corn
  • ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
  • ⅓ cup mayonnaise
  • ½ lime zested and juiced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 3 cups corn kernels
  • 3 tablespoons cotija cheese or feta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
  • 1 jalapeño seeded and finely diced
  • 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and toss with the Cajun seasoning.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through.

While the chicken is cooking, in a medium bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, lime juice, lime zest, cumin, and a pinch of salt until smooth.

Add corn, cotija, cilantro, jalapeño, and red onion and mix well.

Divide the hot rice between four bowls. Top with Cajun chicken and a generous scoop of street corn.

Add additional toppings as desired.


No comments: