Friday, September 11, 2026

Stovetop Carne Asada

I got the grill fired up again tonight, because apparently I have a personal rule that steak-like things do not belong on the stovetop. This recipe calls for cooking it inside, but y’all know that wasn’t happening.  If I’m making steak, it’s going on the grill.

The real reason I picked this recipe was the marinade. I used to watch Simply Mama Cooks on YouTube, where she made all kinds of authentic Mexican dishes. For some reason, she eventually stopped making cooking videos, but I remembered seeing this recipe a while back and knew I wanted to give it a try. Carne Asada is one of my favorites, so it didn’t take much convincing.

I went with flank steak and let it hang out in the marinade for about 3 hours. There’s a whole lot of citrus going on here, so I didn’t want to push the marinating time too far. And I’m glad I didn’t—the steak had plenty of flavor.

This is a really good marinade and one I’d happily make again. Assuming, of course, I remember where I put the recipe.


Stovetop Carne Asada
Recipe from Simply Mama Cooks
Serves 4
  • 1/2 c low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 c fresh juice of orange
  • 1/4 c fresh juice of lime
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 small onion, cut into rings
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 1/2 lb beef skirt steak or flank steak

In a bowl, combine soy sauce, orange, lime, all dried spices and sugar. Mix well to combine. 

In a large plastic bag, combine steak, onion rings and garlic with the marinade. 

Marinate in the fridge 2-3 hours. Remove the marinated meat and set on the counter 15 to 20 minutes before cooking to remove the chill. 

Preheat your pan on medium high heat until the pan is hot. Sear meat on each side for 2-3 minutes. cook time will vary depending on the desired doneness your prefer. 

Once meat is cooked, remove from the skillet and set aside (cover in foil). Rest for 10 minutes, slice and serve.

No comments: