Since I’m such a taco fan, I figured this would be a fun way to shake things up a little. And you know what? These were really good.
The biggest challenge with this recipe is getting all the different components finished at roughly the same time. The burrito gets a quick turn in a skillet at the end, but that little bit of time may not be enough to heat everything all the way through. So this is one of those recipes where a little planning goes a long way.
I started with the rice and let it cook for about 10 minutes before moving on to the meat and beans. The beans couldn't be easier—just get them into a pan and let them warm up. I used refried beans because that’s what I had on hand.
The meat takes the longest, needing around 15 minutes, give or take, to brown and cook through. If you time it right, the rice should be finishing up about the same time, while your beans have been ready and waiting for you.
Another tip: get your burrito assembly line set up before you start putting everything together. Have your tortilla ready to go. I gave mine about 10 seconds in the microwave, which made it much easier to fold without fighting with it. Have your cheese shredded, your onions chopped if you’re using them, and all your other toppings within reach. (I didn’t put onions in the meat, so mine went on during assembly.)
I had never tried putting a burrito in a skillet to “fry” it before, so I wasn’t entirely sure what I was getting myself into. If your skillet is still hot from cooking the meat, though, it really only takes about a minute per side. I used a spatula to press the burrito down as much as possible, hoping to get plenty of that golden-brown, crispy exterior.
And the verdict? Delicious—but I’m not convinced the final skillet step was necessary. Honestly, I don't think it added much to the finished burrito. Of course, I loaded mine up with Mexican crema and salsa afterward, so maybe those toppings covered up whatever difference the crispy exterior was supposed to make.
So, my final review: These were good, but I don’t think I need to make them again. When it comes right down to it, I’m a taco girl. I’ll be sticking with tacos.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cooking spray
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 ½ cups cooked rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained

No comments:
Post a Comment