I’m pretty sure I’ve never actually made Hungarian Goulash before. I searched through my blog and found several recipes that were definitely goulash-adjacent, but apparently none of them were the real deal. They all seem to share some of the same basic ingredients, though, so at least I wasn’t wandering completely off into culinary nowhere.
Today I also learned something important about myself: there is, in fact, such a thing as too much paprika.
I know. I know. Paprika is kind of the whole point of Hungarian Goulash. It is supposed to be the star of the show. But apparently I have a paprika limit, and I had no idea that limit existed until today. For me, paprika is much more of a supporting actor than a leading role.
That said, this was still a good dish. I didn't hate it, and I certainly didn't hate the paprika. There was just more of it than my taste buds apparently signed up for. Next time, I’d probably dial it back a little and let the other flavors have some stage time, too.
Hungarian Goulash
Recipe from The Roasted Root
Serves 8
- 6 strips thick-cut bacon or 2-3 Tbsp pork lard or cooking oil of choice
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 to 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 Tbsp sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp caraway seeds optional
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 red bell pepper cored and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper cored and chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper to taste
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes chopped into large chunks
- 2 large carrots
Chop up 6 slices of thick-cut bacon and add them to a large thick-bottomed pot, such as a Dutch oven. Heat over medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon fat has rendered and the bacon is crispy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon, leaving the bacon drippings in the pot to use as oil. Note: transfer the cooked bacon to a small bowl or plate to be eaten separately or add it back into the stew with the broth. I add it to the soup with the broth because I enjoy the added flavor.
Transfer the chopped onion to the large pot with the bacon drippings and sauté over medium high heat until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Transfer the beef stew meat (or chopped chuck roast) to the pot and allow it to brown, stirring every couple of minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, paprika, and caraway seeds. Pour in the beef broth, and add in the chopped bell peppers, potatoes and carrots. Note: if you’re adding back the bacon, do so now). Cover the pot and bring it to a full boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle boil (low heat or medium heat) and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
Taste the goulash for flavor and add sea salt and black pepper to your personal taste.
If you’d like to thicken the goulash, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Stir well until the flour is dissolved and cook at a gentle boil until the stew reaches your desired thickness.
Serve goulash with dinner rolls or crusty bread with butter and a dollop of sour cream on top. You can also garnish with fresh parsley.
No comments:
Post a Comment