Thursday, October 1, 2026

One Pot Kofta and Potato Stew

Tonight I ventured into new territory. A dish I had never eaten, never made, and honestly wasn’t quite sure what to expect: kofta.

According to Hungry Paprikas, kofta is a Middle Eastern dish, and traditionally there are a few more steps involved in making it. But she has turned this version into a one-pot wonder, and I am absolutely here for that. Less work, fewer dishes, and the end result was fantastic.

Basically, kofta is an elongated, highly seasoned meatball. I stumbled across this recipe while searching for “meatballs from around the world,” and I’m very glad this one caught my attention.

The beefy little football shaped meatballs simmer in a rich tomato sauce, soaking up all that goodness as they cook. It was hearty, flavorful, and completely different from the meatballs I usually make.

First kofta experience? Definitely a success. I’d happily make this one again.


One Pot Kofta and Potato Stew
Recipe from Hungry Paprikas
Serves 5

FOR THE KOFTA:
  • 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 yellow onion, quartered
  • 1 cup parsley
  • 2 teaspoons seven spice
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, dry
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SAUCE AND POTATOES:
  • 4 yellow potatoes, peeled, small
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups chicken broth, or 1 chicken cube dissolved in 2 cups water

No comments: