Saturday, October 3, 2026

Autumn Chopped Salad

Photo from Life In
the Loft House
It’s fall, y’all! And if you know me, you know fall is my favorite season. Part of the reason? SOUP AND STEW SEASON. But fall also brings all those salads that somehow just feel more appropriate once the temperatures start dropping.

Of course, I make salads like this year-round. But there’s something about the flavors of a fall salad that just hits differently in October.

Last night was Vines & Spines book club, and I was the hostess. Our setup is pretty perfect: whoever hosts is responsible for the main dish and sides, while the other two bring an appetizer and dessert. Since I’m someone who genuinely enjoys making an entire meal, this arrangement works out very nicely for me.

For the side, I decided on this fall salad to go with the main course—a Pork Chop and Potatoes Casserole. You can read all about that one here.

I did make one BIG change to the salad recipe. The original calls for using a bottle of store-bought poppy seed dressing. Nope. I decided to make my own instead, and I’m very glad I did. It’s incredibly easy to whip together and, in my opinion, tastes so much better than the bottled stuff.

The poppy seed dressing recipe came from Sherrie’s Kick Ass Salad. I did make one little adjustment there too, swapping the regular sugar for a low-carb sugar alternative.

And that’s really all I have to say about this one: make this salad. It’s fresh, crunchy, a little sweet, and completely at home on a fall dinner table.

You won’t regret it.


Autumn Chopped Salad
Recipe from Life in the Lofthouse
Serves 4

  • 8 c chopped Romaine lettuce
  • 2 c Spring Mix lettuce
  • 2 small Red delicious or Gala apples sliced thin
  • 1 c dried cranberries
  • 1 c chopped candied pecans
  • 8 slices bacon crisp-cooked and crumbled
  • 4 ounces Feta cheese crumbled
  • bottle of poppy seed dressing OR make the dressing below.

DRESSING
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 c red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 1 tsp poppy seeds

In a large bowl, add chopped romaine lettuce, Spring Mix lettuce, apples, cranberries, pecans, bacon and Feta cheese. Toss well to combine.

If you're making the dressing, have that already made by mixing all the ingredients together. You'll most likely have more dressing than you need. 

Divide salad among individual salad bowls. Top with desired amount of creamy poppy seed dressing. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: