Saturday, June 18, 2022

Slow Cooker Swiss Steak (Recipe 76 of 150)

I'm not sure what I expected of this recipe or Swiss Steak in general, but it wasn't what I think I was hoping for. I've made Swiss steak one other time and I recall it being delicious. This recipe was not. 

It was "ok" but not great. I did everything as the recipe called for - which is not my normal MO, but everything made sense so I didn't bother changing it. 


Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
Recipe from Spicy Southern Kitchen
Serves 4
  • 2 to 2 1/2 pounds cubed steak
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 T olive or vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 (14-5-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
  • 3 T tomato paste
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced

Season cubed steaks with salt and pepper.

Place flour in a shallow bowl and press both sides of each piece of cubed steak into flour.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cubed steak and cook just until brown on both sides.

Place onion and green pepper in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Place browned cubed steaks on top of them.

To the slow cooker, add the Worcestershire sauce, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, Italian seasoning, thyme, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and garlic. Mix the tomato paste in.

Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.

No comments: