Friday, June 17, 2022

La Scala’s Famous Chopped Salad Made Skinny (Recipe 75 of 150)

Photo from Skinny Kitchen
I meant to make this for lunch all week, but the week got away from me so I only made it for today's lunch. I also ate the turkey I bought for this, so didn't have that to add to it. I did, however, have some ham. I used that instead. 

This was a good salad. I purchased the Cardini's Caesar. I gotta say, I'm not a fan. It's too tangy without the parmesan and garlic flavor. It was OK, but I won't be buying it again. I knew I should have bought Girard's. It's been a favorite for a long time. I was just thinking I'd try something new. 

I did have to find out about the "famous" salad. This is what the Interwebs spit out when I Googled it. 

The culinary masterpiece was introduced in the 50s by Chef Jean Leon at La Scala Boutique in Beverly Hills. The tasty dish combined two kinds of lettuce, salami, chickpeas, and cheese.

Over the years, the salad has been nibbled on by celebs such as Elizabeth Taylor, Julia Roberts, and Leonardo DiCaprio, as well as JFK. La Scala still features the original version ($11.75, or for a $1.50 more, you can sub turkey, chicken, or tuna for the salami). Some food bloggers have further jazzed up the recipe with avocados and cherry tomato halves.

I found this little blurb with a recipe that I think I may have to try

I'd make this again. It was a nice salad to have at lunch time. It was filling and different from the normal boring old salad I have been making.

La Scala’s Famous Chopped Salad Made Skinny
Recipe from Skinny Kitchen

Serves 4
  • 10 c romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 1½ c tomatoes, chopped
  • 1½ c turkey breast, diced
  • ¾ c Italian dry salami, cut into thin strips, see shopping tips
  • 1¼ c canned garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and chopped
  • ½ c mozzarella cheese
  • 8 Kalamata olives or black olives, pitted and chopped
  • ½ c Cardini’s Light Caesar Vinaigrette or Girard’s Light Champagne Dressing
  • 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, to taste

Chop romaine lettuce and add to a large salad bowl. 

Add remaining ingredients except the dressing and balsamic vinegar. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Just before serving, toss in dressing and balsamic vinegar. Add a little more dressing, if desired.

No comments: