Saturday, June 11, 2022

Slow Cooked Tri Tip Roast with Gravy (Recipe 71 of 150)

Photo from Lauren's Latest
This is not a recipe that should us tritip. Tritip to me is about steaks (or roast) on the grill. Back in the day when tritip was less expensive I might have given it a go. Not today my friends. Tritip is among the more expensive and if it's gonna sit in a slow cooker all day, then I don't need to spend the money. 

I used good old stew meat for this recipe. It turned out fine. I used an almost 2 pound chunk of sirloin and cut it into 1" cubes. Pro tip: Don't buy the already cut stew meat. You often don't know what you're getting and those bits and bobs can be too tough to really break down. 

I have also rarely cooked with beef consommé. Wow. What a bright, beefy flavor that gave this dish.

And last, but not least, I had no bay leaves. I know! I couldn't believe it either. I always have bay leaves and/or always stock up. Apparently last time I used them I did not write down that I needed them. To be fair, I'm not always sure bay leaves add anything special to a dish. Still, I googled substitutes and the Googles said dry oregano or thyme. I am no fan of thyme so I went with about a tsp of dried oregano. 

I put this in a slow cooker even though the original instructions didn't say use a slow cooker. I cooked it on low for 6 hours. 

Slow Cooked Tri Tip Roast with Gravy
Recipe from Lauren's Latest
Serves 4

  • 3 t olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion diced
  • 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
  • 2 lbs tri tip pieces or a 2 lb. tri tip roast cut into large pieces
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 10.5 oz beef consommé 1 can
  • 1 can water
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
  • 3 T butter softened
  • 3 T flour
  • more water if needed

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large heavy-bottomed pot {such as a dutch oven} heat olive oil over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, sauté onions for 3 minutes.

Stir in garlic and cook another minute. Season meat with salt and pepper and brown in pot. This should take about 5 minutes.

Pour in beef consommé, water, bay leaves, and thyme. Stir and cover. Place into the preheated oven (or crockpot on high) and bake 2-3 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Remove from oven.

Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from the liquid in the pot. Return to medium heat on the stovetop. In a small bowl, stir butter and flour together until smooth paste forms.

Pour butter mixture into the hot liquid and whisk in to stir. Within a minute or so, the sauce should thicken to a gravy. If the gravy gets too thick, add in 1/2 cup water or until desired consistency is reached. Replace meat and stir to coat in gravy. Turn heat to low to keep warm before serving.

Serve with mashed potatoes and/or roasted veggies!

Jenn's Slow cooker Instructions: 
Saute the onions.
Brown the beef. 
Pour all that into the slow cooker.
Set on low for 6 hours.
When it's done, ladle out most the liquid into a small sauce pan. 
Pour in a slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken it up. 
Pour that gravy back into the slow cooker with the meat. 
Serve over mashed potatoes!

No comments: