Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole (Recipe 80 of 150)

This was a delicious recipe. At least, the way I made it. See it was too hot to even consider turning on the oven, so the only part of this recipe I didn't do is bake it. Turned out it was just fine without. 

I didn't use precooked chicken either. I didn't have any so I just sautéed a couple of chicken breasts. Worked out perfect.

I didn't make brown rice. I thought I had some and didn't, so white rice it was. 

This was a good recipe. And it made enough for leftovers. I'd make this again. And I'd not put it in the oven again too. I like that better. 

Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
Recipe from Recipe Runner
Serves 4

2 tsp olive oil
3 green onions, sliced thin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 c cooked shredded chicken breasts
2 c cooked brown rice
8 ounce can diced green chiles
14 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
1/2 c frozen corn, defrosted
3/4 c green enchilada sauce
1/2 c plain non fat Greek yogurt
3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large oven safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the green onions and spices and sauté for a couple minutes.

Add the shredded chicken, rice, green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes, corn, and green enchilada sauce and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Stir everything together until it's combined. Season with salt and pepper as needed.

Once the cheese is melted and everything is heated through, remove the skillet from the heat and quickly stir in the Greek yogurt. Top with the remaining cheese and then bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot.

Serve the casserole as is or top it with diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.

No comments: