Tuesday, June 7, 2022

BBQ Pork Ribs (Recipe 67 of 150)

Photo from Retro Recipe
Ribs! Yummy Yummy ribs! And added bonus of country style ribs.

I've not made country style ribs in a long time. My main rib recipe is for pork ribs or baby backs. When ribs gets requested, that's what I make. 

I had bought some country style ribs on sale a couple of weeks ago and I figured I better used them up. 

This recipe originally confused me when making the BBQ sauce. In all my years of cooking I've never EVER put celery in a BBQ recipe. Then I remembered, my Mom's special BBQ sauce actually calls for celery seed and that one ingredient is what makes her sauce so delicious. Also made me realize I hadn't made her sauce in a long time, might need to do that soon. 

This recipe was good and simple. I added about a cup of water in with the sauce as it cooked because it dried out too quickly for me. So if you make this, check it every 30 minutes and if the sauce is getting too think or starting to burn, toss in some water. 

I also cooked these covered for the first 30 minutes. No reason other than I didn't read the full recipe and missed that they were to be uncovered. I think it helped with the cooking and tenderizing. 


BBQ Pork Ribs
Recipe from Casserole Queens Cookbook
Serves 4

  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 celery, chopped
  • 2 T packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 2 T unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 c ketchup
  • 1/4 c Heinz chili sauce
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 5 drops Tabasco
  • 2 lbs pork ribs

Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9X13 casserole dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the onion, celery, brown sugar, salt, paprika, butter, ketchup, chili sauce, vinegar, W sauce, lemon juice, Tabasco, and 1/2 c water. 

Put ribs in the prepared casserole dish and pour in the sauce, making sure to thoroughly coat the ribs. Bake, uncovered and basting every 20-30 minutes, for 2  to 2 1/2 hours, until it registers 160F. 

No comments: