Thursday, June 16, 2022

Cashew Chicken (Recipe 74 of 150)

Photo from Spicy Southern
Kitchen
I'm almost half way to my target goal, with half the year left. Awesome. 

The last time I made a cashew chicken I ran into the same problem with the chicken soaking in a cornstarch slurry and getting a weird jelly type issue attached to the chicken. It tastes fine, but it's just weird to me. 

I didn't "fry" the cashews. Frankly I just skipped past that part and added the cashews on top in the end. I just didn't think that would make a difference in the overall recipe. 

This recipe had too much hoisin for me. I'd use less if I made it again.


Cashew Chicken
Recipe from Spicysouthernkitchen.com
Serves 4

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
5 T soy sauce, divided
2 T cornstarch
1 T dry sherry
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/3 c hoisin sauce
1/3 c water
1 T balsamic vinegar
3 T vegetable oil
1 c raw cashews
2 celery ribs, sliced into 1/4 inch slices on bias
6 green onions, white parts sliced thin and green parts sliced into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
white rice for serving

In a medium bowl, stir together chicken, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, cornstarch, sherry, and sesame oil. Set aside.

In a small bowl, stir together hoisin sauce, water, vinegar, and remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce. Set aside.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet until hot. Add cashews and cook stirring constantly until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Reheat oil in the skillet until very hot. Add chicken mixture. Cook, stirring frequently until about halfway cooked.

Add the celery, white parts of green onions, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir fry for 2 minutes.

Add hoisin mixture and cook for 1 to 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Remove from heat and stir in green parts of green onions and cashews.

Serve over rice.

No comments: