Tuesday, April 4, 2023

One Pan Chicken Kebab with Potatoes and Broccoli (Recipe 51 of 150)

American's Test Kitchen recipes rarely let me down. So when I come across one that inspires me I feel compelled to make it. Their flavors in most their recipes are not complex and they provide enough instructions to make anything difficult seem easy. 

This recipe was a head scratcher for me. First I have to say I didn't make the potatoes and broccoli. For some odd reason I didn't buy either of them when grocery shopping. I really need to sharpen my attention to detail skills when it comes to making grocery lists. 

Ahem. 

I love red curry. It's one of those flavors I dream about. I especially love it in a coconut sauce poured over rice. But in my attempt to eat at least a little better, I thought this recipe would give me the red curry flavor that I love. And I was right. 

This recipe is NOT spicy. It calls for 2 tablespoons of red curry paste and Greek yogurt. I think the yogurt tames it a bit. In hindsight, I wish I had made the "sauce" portion of this recipe for the actual marinade. See, not only did I forget to get potatoes and broccoli, but I only got 1 Greek yogurt and I used part of it in another recipe this week. 

It needed a little more flavor to it. Lime juice would have been a great addition. 


One Pan Chicken Kebab with Potatoes and Broccoli
Recipe from American Test Kitchen / Cook's Country

Serves 4

Chicken
  • 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 T red curry paste
  • 1 T vegetable oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 4 (6-8oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 2" chunks

Sauce
  • 1/2 c plan Greek yogurt
  • 1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 T lime juice
  • 1 T water
  • 1 tsp red curry paste
  • salt and pepper

Veggie
  • 1 1/2 lb small red potatoes, unpeeled/halved
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil, divided
  • 1 lb broccoli, cut into 2" florets

FOR THE CHICKEN: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Whisk yogurt, curry paste, oil, salt, and pepper together in medium bowl. Add chicken and stir to combine. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour. Thread chicken onto four 12-inch metal skewers; set aside.

FOR THE SAUCE: Whisk all ingredients together in bowl.

FOR THE VEGETABLES: Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss potatoes, 2 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper together on prepared sheet. Arrange potatoes, cut side down, around outside of sheet. Bake until bottoms begin to brown, about 15 minutes.

Remove sheet from oven and heat broiler. Toss broccoli, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper together in medium bowl. Place broccoli in center of sheet. Place kebabs around perimeter of sheet on top of potatoes. 

Return sheet to oven and broil until chicken is lightly charred on top, about 8 minutes. Flip kebabs and continue to broil until lightly charred on second side and chicken registers 160 degrees, 6 to 8 minutes longer. 

Serve kebabs with vegetables and sauce.

No comments: