Friday, April 14, 2023

Easy Hibachi Steak and Fried Rice (55 of 150)

Have you ever had a meal that you just cannot forget? I had one back in college at a restaurant with Mom and Dad. I don't remember the restaurant, but I do remember I ordered hibachi steak. It was to die for. It was savory, a little salty and so tender. You'd think I would have found a recipe to make on my own.

I also didn't really know what Hibachi means, so Wikipedia told me this: 

The word hibachi means “fire bowl” and refers to the cylindrical shape of the container, which has an open top and is designed to burn wood or charcoal. Hibachi containers are made out of wood or ceramic and are lined with metal. 

Tonight I made this recipe and it was oh so delicious. It definitely reminded me of the steak I had in college - at least I think it does. I'd make this steak again. The marinade has all the flavors I love and then some. In all transparency, I did not use 2 Tablespoons of sesame oil - that's too much sesame oil for me. I used 1 T and it was perfect. 

As for the fried rice, amazingly delicious. I did not add the peas and carrots cuz I think those are gross in rice. The basmati makes the rice extra special. I'd make this again for sure. 

Easy Hibachi Steak and Fried Rice
Recipe from Hungry Happens
Serves 4

Steak:
  • 1½ lbs NY Strip Steak
  • 2 T low sodium soy sauce (or tamari)
  • 2 T sesame oil (or olive oil)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T ginger paste
  • 1 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 T honey (optional)

Fried Rice:
  • 6 c cooked + cooled Basmati rice
  • 2 T sesame oil (or olive oil)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 eggs
  • 12 oz bag frozen vegetables, thawed
  • 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 T butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T ginger paste
  • 1 T sesames seeds

Steak:

Whisk together the soy sauce, oil, garlic, ginger, Worcestershire and honey in a small bowl.

Slice your steak into small 1½ inch cubes. Transfer to a bag or bowl and toss to coat all. Marinate for at least an hour in your fridge.

Fried Rice:

Heat a griddle or use two pans separately on HIGH for 4 minutes. You want it really HOT. Add the sesame oil, rice, onion and eggs and cook for 3 minutes tossing and mixing with your spatula. Next stir in the vegetables to distribute. Now, mix in the soy sauce, butter, garlic, ginger, and sesame seeds for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want a golden brown crust to form on the rice.

Push the rice over to the other side of your griddle and add the steak to the heat. Spread out and cook a few minutes per side.



No comments: