Friday, April 28, 2023

Hawaiian Chicken (66 of 150)

Photo from Carlsbad
Cravings
It's beautiful outside today. And a perfect day to grill. Though, I'd argue that any day is a great day to grill. I've never understood the "grilling season" idea. All year is grilling season to me. But there is something special about grilling on a sunny, spring day. 

This was a delicious marinade. I cut the chicken into chunks and then marinaded for 5 hours. I saved some marinade to baste the chicken while grilling. That was a good call. 

I'd make this again. You should make it. You'll like it. I promise. 

Oh I should mention I was out of ketchup. So I added in some tomato bouillon to give it that tomato taste. It was pretty tasty with that.


Hawaiian Chicken
Recipe from Carlsbad Cravings
Serves 4
  • 1/2 c canned pineapple juice*
  • 1/3 c olive oil
  • 1/3 packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 c reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 c ketchup
  • 1/4 c Asian sweet chili sauce like Mae Ploy
  • 1 T Asian chili sauce
  • 1 tsp EACH ground ginger, onion powder, garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp EACH paprika, salt, pepper
  • 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs

Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a large freezer bag or bowl. Remove ¼ cup to baste chicken while grilling.

Add chicken, remove excess air, seal and turn to coat. Marinate 4-24 hours (marinate up to 12 hours if using chicken breasts).

Heat grill to medium-high heat (375-400 degrees F), clean and grease. Add chicken and cook 6-8 minutes per side, or until no longer pink and the chicken registers 165-175 degrees F. Baste the chicken with the reserved ¼ cup marinade the last 3 minutes.

Hawaiian chicken is especially delicious with fresh grilled pineapple and cilantro lime rice.




No comments: