Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Fish Sticks (64 of 150)

During my days in Jenny Craig, one of their meals was my all time favorite. Their fish and chips. I know. I know. It's not the "real" thing, but when you're trying to keep your stomach from getting larger than Texas, it's a way to curb that craving. The two VERY little fish sticks were served with 5 VERY SMALL wedge potatoes. But there was something about them. 

I do like me some fish and chips. And as I mentioned above about Texas, they just aren't in the cards these days. But, there's no reason I can't take a fish stick recipe and make it healthy, right? 

This is a very basic, very common recipe for fish sticks in the air fryer. The key to the crunch is panko - which is not on my low carbish list. So I decided to try the old stand by - pork rinds. Yes, that's a thing in low carb eating. Swapping crushed pork rinds for panko. It's oddly similar. You don't get that pork rind flavor, just the crunch. 

The secret to crunchy in the air fryer is spraying the meat with a PAM or something similar before you put it in. 

I served these with my homemade cocktails sauce. I made this up during the Jenny Craig Fish n Chip days. It's basically a couple of hefty squirts of ketchup (sugar free of course), a tsp or so of horseradish and a Tablespoon or so of mayo. I got a little heavy handed with the horseradish tonight...spicy! Cleared out my sinuses though. 

You could also bake these in a traditional oven. You'd have adjust the time a little. 

Fish Sticks
Recipe from Centennial Kitchen Air Fryer Recipes

Serves 4
  • 4 (6oz) cod fillets
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c panko
  • 1 T Old Bay Seasoning

Cut each cod fillet into 4 sticks. Pat dry with paper towels.

Set up a dredging station. First bowl mix flour, paprika, salt and pepper. In second, beat eggs. In third mix breadcrumbs and old bay seasoning.

Coat fix in flour, then egg, then panko. Pressing panko to adhere.

Spray sticks with cooking spray. Place sticks in air fryer basket. Cook @ 400F for 10 minutes; turning once halfway through. 

No comments: