Monday, April 3, 2023

Chicken Kawarma with Lemon Sauce Over Hummus (Recipe 50 of 150)

I wasn't sure about this recipe when I read it and now having made it I'm still unsure. 

See the problem is Allspice and cinnamon. I'm not a fan of cinnamon in a savory dish. I prefer it in a cinnamon bun. Allspice is not a favorite flavor either and as it turned out I didn't have Allspice in my spice rack - which is odd because I knew I had it at one point. 

At any rate, this recipe was just ok. It lacked something for me, but I really can't pin point it. 

I ate this on a Middle Eastern flat bread. I had them from a previous recipe so I wanted to use them up. And I forgot all about the sauce, even through I made it. I don't think that would have made a difference. 


Chicken Kawarma with Lemon Sauce Over Hummus
Recipe from The Mom 100

Serves 8

For the Lemon Sauce:
  • ½ c chopped fresh parsley
  • Zest of one lemon
  • ½ c fresh lemon juice
  • 1 ½ tsp finely minced garlic
  • 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
  • ½ tsp coarse or kosher salt

For the Chicken Kawarma
  • 3 pounds skinless boneless thighs
  • ¾ tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 T white wine vinegar
  • ¼ T chopped fresh mint
  • ¼ c chopped fresh parsley
  • Coarse or kosher salt to taste
  • 2 T olive oil divided
  • 1 recipe Hummus with Sesame Oil or 1 16-ounce store-bought container
  • To Serve:
  • Caramelized Onions see Note
  • Toasted Sesame Seeds
  • Pomegranate seeds

Make the Lemon Sauce: In a small bowl combine the parsley, lemon zest and juice, garlic, jalapeno, and salt. Set aside.

For the Chicken Kawarma, dice the chicken. In a large bowl combine the pepper, allspice, cinnamon, oregano, vinegar, mint, parsley and salt. Add the chicken, toss to coat and let marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes, or in the fridge for about 2 hours.

In a large skillet over medium high heat add about 2 teaspoons of the oil. When hot, add about 1/3 of the chicken mixture and sauté for about 4 minutes, until the chicken is just barely cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with another 2 teaspoons of oil, and 1/3 of the chicken. Add that to the first batch of cooked chicken. Repeat with the rest of the oil, and the spiced chicken.

Meanwhile, spread the hummus in a thick circle, with the edges a bit higher than the middle (like a rimmed plate made of hummus). You can do this on individual plates if you’re feeling sophisticated,or on a large platter. Pile the chicken mixture into the center of the circle(s) of hummus, drizzle the sauce generously over the chicken, and sprinkle with any desired toppings.


No comments: