Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Beef Mushroom Stir Fry

Photo from Jo Cooks
It's been "one of those" days. It started with me waking up on time, but thinking a call started at 5:30 but in fact started at 5am. Ugh. I was 10 mins late and I hate that. 

So when I went to cook this recipe I wasn't surprised that I was missing, and/or forgot, some ingredients. I will make this recipe again because I think with the right ingredients it will be good. 

First, I didn't have corn starch. Corn starch is one of those things that you have forever, until you don't. 
Second, I didn't put the ginger in. THAT would have made this entire meal that much better. It was kinda bland and a little salty. Ginger will help with the bland. Using half soy and half water for the soy amount will help with the salty. And yes, I use low sodium soy. 

Then, while I chopped the green onions, I did not put them on the meal at all. Gah! It's the same thing I do with parsley all ... they... time.

I really think if you make this and follow the recipe this would be a good stir fry. 


Beef Mushroom Stir Fry
Recipe from Jo Cooks
Serves 4

Beef
1 large rib eye steak (thinly sliced)
1 tsp baking soda
1 T cornstarch
2 T soy sauce

Stir Fry Sauce
3 T oyster sauce
2 T soy sauce (low sodium)
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil

Stir Fry
2 t olive oil
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 large onion (sliced)
2 inch ginger piece (julienned)
8 ounce mushrooms (quartered)
3 green onions (sliced)

Prep Beef: Add the beef, baking soda, cornstarch and 2 tbsp of soy sauce to a bowl. Toss everything together and set aside.

Combine Stir Fry Ingredients: Combine all the stir fry sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.

Cook: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add the beef and spread it out. Don't touch it for 2 minutes, allowing it to sear. Toss it around a bit, then add the garlic, onion, ginger and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for an additional 2 minutes, just until they start to brown a bit. Pour the sauce over everything and toss until well combined.

Garnish & Serve: Garnish with green onions and serve.

No comments: