Friday, July 26, 2024

Steak and Potatoes

Photo from
I heart Naptime
Last night was another virtual dinner with friends Paul and Suzanna (and Puck their Golden puppy made an appearance). When we have these dinners I like to make sure I cook something that has somewhat adjustable time. We say we're going to me at 5:45 and sometimes my planning doesn't turn out so well, so I make it easy. 

This recipe sounded delicious. And it was, with my modifications. You saw that coming right?

I added Sugar free BBQ sauce to it. Just the meat and potatoes was boring to me. So I jazzed it up with BBQ sauce. Delicious. 

I did not put in the Italian Seasoning. I - well - I forgot and it wouldn't have gone with BBQ sauce. 


Steak and Potatoes
Recipe from I Heart Nap Time
Serves 4
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 2-3 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes (quartered, about 3.5 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (more to taste)
  • salt and pepper (to taste)
  • 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1 pound sirloin steak
  • 2 teaspoons steak rub (or sub for salt and pepper)

Prepare potatoes and steak. Rub the steak rub (or salt and pepper) over the meat and let rest for 10-15 minutes while you cook the potatoes. Then cut into 1 inch cubes.

Heat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and 1-2 Tablespoons butter. Once butter has melted, add the potatoes into the skillet. Cook for a minute and then sprinkle Italian seasoning, salt and pepper over top. Cook for 10-12 more minutes (or until fork tender), stirring frequently to prevent burning. Set aside on a plate once cooked.

Turn the heat to medium high heat and add in another Tablespoons of butter with the steak cubes and garlic. Place evenly on the pan and let sear for 1 minute and then flip with a fork or spatula to the other side. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and no longer pink. Be careful to not over cook.

Add the potatoes back into the skillet and remove from the heat. Top with fresh herbs if desired. Serve while warm.

No comments: