Monday, July 22, 2024

Cajun Chicken Carbonara

I suspect any recipe like this probable isn't a staple in the actual Cajun region of this country. I mean, maybe, but I doubt it. 

I can almost claim that I made this recipe. It calls for eggs and, well, I didn't have any. By the time I figured it out I was already cooking. So I used heavy cream and half and half for this recipe. So it was more like a Cajun Chicken Alfredo.

And it was AWESOME!!! I must admit I might like it more than the carbonara. 

Cajun Chicken Carbonara
Recipe from Closet Cooking
Serves 4
  • 8 ounces pasta 
  • 4 ounces bacon cut into 1 inch pieces (or 4 ounces pancetta, diced)
  • 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
  • 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 c (2 ounces) Parmigiano Reggiano (parmesan), grated
  • 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
  • plenty of fresh cracked black pepper

Start cooking the pasta as directed on the package.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large pan until crispy and set aside.

Season the chicken with the Cajun seasoning, and cook in the bacon grease in the pan until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, about 3-5 minutes per side, before setting aside and draining off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease.

Add the garlic and turn off the heat.

Mix the egg, cheese, cajun seasoning, pepper, salt and parsley in a bowl.

Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.

Mix the pasta, the egg mixture and bacon in the pan with the garlic, adding reserved pasta water as needed to form a nice sauce.

Serve topped with the cajun chicken, optionally sliced.

Tip: Chicken cooks faster when it’s thin, about 1/2-1 inch thick; pound thicker chicken thin or cut it in half to make it thinner.

Option: Garnish with chopped parsley and/or cilantro.

Option: Replace the chicken with shrimp or use a combination of chicken and shrimp!

Option: Add extra meat and/or veggies such as sliced andouille sausage, bell peppers, collard greens, kale, swiss chard, green beans, etc.

No comments: