Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Moo Shu Chicken (Recipe 34 of 150)

Moo Shu pork is an entre my BFF used to order all the time when we'd go out for Chinese. It's tangy, sweet flavor with those small flat pancakes and plum sauce was so delicious. It tasted fancy and well beyond my skills to make. Especially the pancakes. 

Take out gets expensive and my BFF has since gone gluten free so Chinese food is rarely on our places to eat. I don't crave moo shu but when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it. This is what I've heard coined as a "restaurant at home" meal. It certainly hits all the flavor profiles for the Chinese food we all know and love. 

A couple of modifications I made: 
  1. I used pork instead of chicken. It's what I had in the fridge and Moo Shu pork is what we usually order.
  2. I didn't add the scrambled egg. First, they are expensive and second, ewww.
I served mine with 1/2 cup basmati rice. I tried really hard to eat more of the moo shu pork than rice. I think I did ok with that.

Moo Shu Chicken
Recipe from My Kitchen Escapades

Serves 6

Sauce
  • 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 inch ginger root, grated
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • Stir Fry
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut very thin (or pork)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 8 ounces portobello or shiitake mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 pound coleslaw mix or sliced cabbage
  • 6 green onions, sliced
  • Serve with: Mandarin pancakes or flour tortillas, lettuce cups, or steamed rice

Mix together all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

Pour half the sauce over the sliced chicken and mix together. Allow the chicken to marinade while chopping the vegetables. Save the remaining sauce for the end of the recipe.

Scramble the two eggs in a small nonstick skillet until cook. Set aside.

Heat a large skillet or a large wok over high heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon oil then the chicken. Stir fry the chicken just until cooked through. Remove the cooked from the pan and set aside.

Return pan to the high heat and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the mushrooms, onions, and cole slaw mix. Stir and cook just until the cabbage begins to wilt. Add the chicken, egg, and the reserved sauce not used in the marinade.

Toss all the ingredients together until everything is coated in the sauce and serve immediately over steamed rice, or inside Mandarin pancakes or flour tortillas.

No comments: