Friday, February 17, 2023

Greek Chicken Kabobs (28 of 150)

More chicken. It's the food of healthy eating. I get really tired of chicken and so I have to find yummy marinades to make it more interesting and yummy. Did I already say yummy?

Greek chicken is one of my favorite marinades. This one was interesting in that I don't recall using red wine vinegar in other Greek marinades. The combo with Greek yogurt and vinegar made this a very delicious and savory marinade. The Greek yogurt really gets into the chicken and keeps it moist.

I had it marinading for 2 hours though. The recipe only says 30 minutes and that just doesn't seem like enough.

And I find it amusing the one recipe that actually calls for kebabing, I don't kebab. I'm a confusing person. 

I didn't make the Tzatziki sauce. I figured it would be fine without it. And besides Tzatziki makes me want to put it on piece of pita. 

Greek Chicken Kabobs
Recipe from Modern Honey

Serves 4

2 lbs. Chicken Breast (cut into large bite-size pieces)
1/2 c Greek Yogurt
3 T Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
3 T Fresh Lemon Juice
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
2 tsp Dried Oregano
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper

Tzatziki Sauce:
1 1/2 c Greek Yogurt
2 T Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 T Fresh Lemon Juice
1 T Red Wine Vinegar
3 Garlic Cloves (finely minced)
1 large Cucumber (peeled, grated, and squeezed to release water from cucumber)
1 T Fresh Dill (chopped)
1 tsp Salt (or more to taste)

Cut chicken breast into large bite-size pieces. In a medium bowl, make the marinade by mixing Greek Yogurt, olive oil, fresh lemon juice, oregano, spices, and red wine vinegar.

Toss the chicken in the marinade and refrigerate and let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes - 2 hours.

Once the chicken is marinated, thread the chicken on the skewers. Add peppers and onions, if so desired.

Preheat the grill to a medium- high heat. To ensure the chicken kabobs don't stick to the grill, lightly brush the grill with olive oil. Cook until chicken registers 165 degrees, about 6-10 minutes, turning at least once.

To make Tzatziki Sauce:

In a medium bowl, mix together Greek Yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, cucumber, dill, and salt. The key is to squeeze out as much water from the grated cucumber as possible. I used Fage 2% Greek yogurt but the fat-free version works well too. Taste for seasoning and salt accordingly. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Serve with warmed Naan bread and a Greek Salad.

No comments: