Tuesday, February 14, 2023

The Best Hot Dog Chili (25 of 150)

Every  now and then a good hot dog sounds yummy. I know! I know! Hot dogs aren't that healthy, but man, they just need to fill a craving once in a while.

I've been trying to eat more low carb lately and so I made these and did not include the bun in my meal. I sooo wanted to, but I had to be an adult about it. I still dressed it with diced white onion and cheese though. Tomorrow's lunch will have dill pickles diced over it along with the onion and cheese.

This was an easy meal to make and I suspect the leftovers tomorrow for lunch are going to be really yummy. This is the first time I've ever made chili without beans. I know some Texans out there would say this is the ONLY real way to make chili, and they might be right. 

The only modification I made was WAY less cumin. I'm not a huge fan of cumin so 1 tablespoon seemed like over kill to me. I used 1 teaspoon and it felt like too much for me. I did add an extra tablespoon of chili powder too. Spicy! I used El Tapatio hot sauce instead of cayenne. 


The Best Hot Dog Chili
Recipe from South Your Mouth
Serves 8
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 T olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 6-oz can tomato paste
  • 2 c water
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 1 T cumin
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
  • 1 lb lean ground chuck (90/10 or leaner) - If you use anything like 80/20 your chili is going to be greasy. Find the leanest you can. I used 90/10 and it had more grease than I would prefer. 

Sauté onions in oil (just enough to cook them in) over medium heat in a saucepan for 5 minutes or until golden.

Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.

Add tomato paste then stir and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the paste just starts to brown on the bottom of the pan.

Add water then stir well to deglaze the pan. Add chili powder and remaining spices then whisk until smooth.

Add ground beef then stir the meat into the liquid with a whisk or fork. Once the meat and sauce are uniformly combined, bring to a low boil.

Cover and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Remove lid then continue simmering, uncovered, for 30 additional minutes or until chili has reached desired thickness.

Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.


No comments: