Saturday, February 25, 2023

Lover's Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce (Recipe 33 of 150)

I have had many, many tomato based cream sauces over pasta. You'd think they'd all taste the same, but they never do. A classic tomato cream sauce is always a favorite of mine. So simple, and often so delicious. 

Tomato cream sauce is not difficult to make. It is a basic staple that most cooks learn and master. I've made many myself. Most are ok, edible, but write home to your Italian grandma worthy.

If I had an Italian grandma, I'd write home to her about this recipe. Unbelievably delicious. THIS recipe is definitely making it to the favorites list. I'm going to keep this one close.

I made a few modifications; naturally. I did because it's what I had in my pantry. See notes below.

Also, keep in mind I cut this recipe in half and it easily made enough to serve 4-6 with a lb of pasta.

Lover's Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
Recipe from Modern Honey
Serves 6
  • 2 T extra virgin olive oil or any oil
  • 2 T butter
  • 1 onion diced
  • 4 garlic cloves; finely diced
  • (1) 28-ounce can diced tomatoes [JW: I used a can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes]
  • ¼ c tomato paste
  • 1 c chicken broth
  • ½ tsp red chili flakes
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • [JW: I added about a tsp of oregano]
  • 1 c heavy cream
  • ¼ c fresh basil torn or cut into ribbons [JW" Oops...missed this step]
  • 1 c parmesan cheese
  • 1 lb. pasta of choice
In large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook until softened, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth. If using whole plum tomatoes, break up with back of spoon or in blender. Stir in red chili flakes, salt and pepper.

Let simmer for 15 minutes (or longer if time allows).

Meanwhile, boil water for pasta. Once boiling, cook according to package instructions.

Stir in heavy cream.

Toss with with cooked pasta. Top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.

No comments: