Saturday, January 2, 2021

Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy (Recipe 1 of 125)

Here we go. The start of 2021! My recipe goal is 125 recipes this year. I did 134 last year (2020) so there's a good chance I'll hit this goal. Rules are the same. No limitations on what a "new" recipe has to be. It can be a protein shake, cookies, dinner, vegetable, etc. If I've not made it ever, it's considered new. 

I got my act together tonight and cooked up this delicious steak tips recipe. I love steak tips. When I've had them in restaurants there's something about how simple they are and yet are often so delicious. 

I'm not sure where the "peppered" part of this comes into play. The recipe only calls for 1/2 tsp of pepper and that, to me, is just normal pepper. I was expecting a more pepper-y flavor. I tasted more soy sauce than I did pepper. 

Regardless, this will be flagged as a favorite. I didn't make the egg noodles with it. Instead I put it over rice. 

Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy
Recipe from My Recipes

  • 2 c uncooked egg noodles
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 pound top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
  • 1 T butter
  • 2 T finely chopped shallots
  • 1 (8-ounce) package presliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 T lower-sodium soy sauce
  • 3 T all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 c fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (optional)

Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.

While noodles cook, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steak; sauté 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan; cover.

Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce. Sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. 

Add pepper, salt, and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pan; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Discard thyme sprigs.

Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.


No comments: