Saturday, January 23, 2021

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (Recipe 16 of 125)

One of the goals inside a goal this year is cooking at least 12 recipes from The Gray Tin Box. I'm
calling it the Gray Tin Box Project... clever huh?

The "tin box" is Mom's recipe box. It's full of recipes from friends and family over the years. Some are the craziest recipes - pulled directly out of the 70's. Some recipes aren't complete and you have to kinda guess. And some are family favorites that have been made a thousand times over the years. 

This month my Aunt Imy's Chocolate chip Oatmeal Cookies was selected as the Gray Tin Box recipe.

I didn't know my Aunt Imy very well(She was the wife of one of my mom's brothers) . I was a kid and they lived in Alaska. When we did see them I have fond memories of the fun we had as a family. Watching the siblings get together and laugh and joke was one of my favorite things.

This recipe appears to make a LOT of cookies. I mean 6 cups of oats? I chose to not use shortening, but butter instead. I almost made them with shortening to be legit in following the recipe, but I was reminded how gross cookies with shortening are. How flavorless. So butter it is. 

I also misread it, or forgot, to mix the milk and the flour alternately. I added the milk after all the flour was added. It didn't really make a difference. 

And last, but not least, I forgot the vanilla. I had the bottle out. I had the lid off, and completely forgot it. Also don't think it made a huge difference. The cookies still tasted fine. 

Here's the recipe with my "misses" or my added knowledge on how to bake.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe from Aunt Imy (Spaid)

  • 1 1/2 c shortening (or butter), at room temperature
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 1 c sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 c + 4T flour (ahhh...didn't see the + 4 T when mixing. The dough was already pretty tacky still think the cookies were fine without the 4T)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2/3 c milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla (forgot this)
  • 1 c nuts (didn't add these)
  • 6 c oats
  • 3 c chocolate chips

Cream together shortening (or butter), brown sugar, and sugar. 

Add, one at a time, 4 eggs. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with 2/3 c milk. 

Stir in vanilla.

Stir in nuts, oatmeal. Then add the chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 for X number of minutes. 

No comments: