Monday, January 4, 2021

Boiled Ham Dinner (Recipe 5 of 124)

Part of my 125 recipes this year I want to try to do a couple in Mom's Gray Tin box. There are some pretty interesting recipes in that box. Some are so obvious 70's esk type of recipes. This is one of I think is definitely from the 70's. 

What makes this recipe more difficult is there aren't any real amounts of things. I did some guessing with the ingredient list below. 

I bought a ham that was about 1.5 lbs. Turns out it was presliced. I don't think that was what should be used here. Because it was presliced I chopped it up into big pieces. 

So this was an odd meal. I'm really not sure how it was supposed to turn out. Was it supposed to be stew like or soup like? And what would you do with the ham if it wasn't already presliced? So confused.

My version: I used Spicy V8 because I had it. It had a nice, slight spice to it. I didn't add any salt because ham often has enough, and it did. It was very much a soup to me. A very brothy, loose soup. And in traditional fashion, I chopped up the parsley and completely forgot to add it. 

Overall, it was good, not great. I have no need to make this again. 

Boiled Ham Dinner
Recipe from Mom's Gray Tin Box from someone named Barb

No idea how many it serves. I'm guessing about 4

  • 24 oz can V-8 vegetable juice
  • 1 ham 
  • 2 small garlic, minced
  • 1 med onion, minced
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 3 small ribs of celery, chopped
  • 2 T chopped parsley
  • 1/2 c frozen peas
  • 1/2 cabbage, chopped ( I used 1/2 of a small head)

Put everything except cabbage and peas in a pot with about 1 c water.  Simmer for about 1 hour. 

Add cabbage and peas, let cook for 15 more minutes.


No comments: