Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Parmesan Chicken and Rice (Recipe 11 of 125)

This recipe gets 5 stars from me for so many reasons. 

First, its easy. Nothing fancy about it and, in fact, lists shortcuts for your prep time (bottled garlic, pre-sliced mushrooms)

Then there's the flavor! I had pretty low expectations for some reason and was blown away. That last hit of Parmesan really brings it all together. The nutty-ness of the Parmesan with the sautéed mushrooms really hit the right flavor profile for me tonight. 

I followed this recipe almost exactly. I cooked the mushrooms first for a lot longer than 5 minutes. I like a nice brown on my mushrooms. Then I tossed in the onions until they were soft, and then the chicken. The rest I followed exactly. 

Parmesan Chicken and Rice
Recipe from MyRecipes.com
Serves 4
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/2 c chopped onion
  • 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced mushrooms
  • 3/4 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2 c dry white wine
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 c uncooked instant rice
  • 1 c fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 c grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, and mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add chicken; sauté 4 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Add wine, salt, and pepper; cook 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.

Stir in rice and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese and parsley.

No comments: