Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Broccoli Beef (Recipe 10 of 125)

Chinese food is hard to find here in Lynnwood. Nothing good anyhow. I figured I can make mine
quicker than ordering and I control what I put into it.

SkinnyTaste is one of my favorite blogs. Her recipes are always filled with flavor and are a bit lighter.

Two things I did different from her recipe:

  1. I didn't have low sodium soy. And when it's one of the major ingredients you really need to use the low sodium otherwise it tastes like you're licking a salt lick. So instead I did have soy and half water. I also doubled the sauce because I like my sauce. 
  2. I didn't blanch the broccoli. Every time I make beef and broccoli the broccoli gets overcooked. Blech. So this time I what I did was get a pot of boiling water going. Dropped in my steamer. Turned off the pot and let it sit. RIGHT before I wanted to serve, I dropped the broccoli in the steamer for about a minute and then put it on the rice, with the beef and sauce over it. Result was the broccoli wasn't over cooked and still was al dente.

I'll keep this one around. It was quick and easy and full of flavor.

Broccoli Beef
Recipe from SkinnyTaste

Serves 4

  • 1 pound flank steak, cut into thin strips
  • 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
  • 1/2 c low sodium soy sauce, or gluten-free tamari
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 one-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 T cornstarch, optional
  • 1 T sesame oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets and blanched
  • cooked rice or cauliflower rice, for serving
  • 1 T toasted sesame seeds
  • 3 scallions, sliced on the bias
  • Season the beef with white pepper.

In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and cornstarch, if using. Set aside.

In a large nonstick skillet over high heat, warm 1/2 tablespoon of the sesame oil until just smoking. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is just about cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the skillet, then add the onions and cook until they are softened, about 8 minutes.

Add the blanched and drained broccoli and cook for 1 minute. Then add the reserved sauce and stir to coat.

Return the beef to the skillet and continue to cook until the beef is cooked through and the sauce has reduced slightly, about 3 minutes more.

Transfer to serving plates over rice or veggie rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions.

No comments: