I was in the mood for steak this week, so naturally I started looking for a new marinade to try. I’d saved this recipe a few months ago, mostly because one ingredient had me scratching my head: butter. In a marinade. Instead of oil. Butter?! How exactly is that supposed to work?
After reading through the directions and realizing this involved an immersion blender and a little emulsifying magic, I figured, why not? I gave it a shot. And honestly? I’m still not convinced the butter did anything particularly spectacular for the steak. It certainly didn’t produce some kind of life-changing steak moment.
And before anyone asks, no, I did not use ribeye. Have you seen the price of ribeye lately? CACHING! I used flank steak that I found on sale, because that is the only time flank steak makes it into my cart. If it isn’t on sale, I’m walking right past it.
As for the marinade, it was good. Just good. Nothing that made me stop mid-bite and declare, “OH MY GOD, THIS IS AMAZING!” It was a solid, dependable marinade and I’m glad I tried it, but I don’t think I’ll be dreaming about it anytime soon.
The recipe never actually tells you how to cook the steak, which I found a little odd. Not a problem, though—I fired up the grill because, well, steak belongs on the grill as far as I’m concerned.
I let the flank steak hang out in the marinade for about four hours, then tossed it on the grill and cooked it to perfection. In the end, it was a tasty steak, a successful dinner, and another recipe checked off the list. Sometimes that's enough.
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Franks red hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
No comments:
Post a Comment