![]() |
| Photo from Recipe In Eats |
dish!
A little Googling taught me that peri peri has both South African and Portuguese roots. It's actually an Afro-Portuguese creation, with African bird's eye chiles combined with Portuguese ingredients like garlic, citrus, and oil. So there you go—history lesson complete. What I really care about is that it's delicious.
The seasoning on this chicken gives it such a rich, bold flavor, and there are so many layers going on that every bite is interesting. But the rice? WOW. The rice is what really takes this dish over the top.
I'm a big fan of turmeric, and this recipe calls for two whole teaspoons. That's a lot of turmeric, but I loved it. The color, the flavor...all of it worked for me.
Now, if you're sensitive to heat, I would definitely scale back the cayenne. The recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne along with red pepper flakes. I followed the recipe exactly, and let's just say I may have temporarily lost feeling in my mouth. It was HOT.
Spice level aside, this is one seriously delicious chicken and rice dish. The chicken is fantastic, but that rice is the real star of the show.
- 1 lb chicken thighs , boneless, skinless, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tsp paprika (regular/sweet, not spicy)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (substitute large garlic clove, minced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (can omit for zero spicy)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cooking kosher salt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice (substitute apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 1 small onion , diced
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), deseeded, chopped into 1cm/0.4″ squares
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice (or long grain rice or medium grain rice)
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes / red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock/broth , low sodium
- 1 cup frozen peas (still frozen)
- 1/2 tsp cooking salt / kosher salt

No comments:
Post a Comment