Saturday, August 22, 2026

Pollo Asado

Photo from Carlsbad
Cravings
Yet another pollo asado recipe. I'm determined to find a favorite. The problem is they are ALL good. 

I marinated this for 4 hours instead of my standard 5 because I lost track of time. Turns out 4 was perfect for the chicken chunks I used. 

Adding this one to the list of things to cook again.

Pollo Asado
Recipe from Carlsbad Cravings
Serves 4
  • 4-5 pounds bone-in chicken thighs (I remove the skin)
  • 1/3 c olive oil
  • 1/2 c orange juice
  • ¼ c lime juice
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 ounces achiote paste
  • 1 T EACH ground coriander, ground cumin, kosher salt
  • 2 tsp EACH smoked paprika, dried oregano
  • 1 tsp EACH pepper, chipotle chile pepper

Whisk all of the Marinade ingredients together in a large bowl or freezer size plastic bag. Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator 4 to 24 hours. Let chicken sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before cooking. (If using chicken breasts, only marinate up to 12 hours or else it can become mushy.)

These instructions are for bone-in chicken thighs - adjust as necessary. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, 425-450°F, clean and grease grates with vegetable oil. Grill chicken skin side down first (if leaving on). Grill for 5-7 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through and an internal temperature reaches 175 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.


No comments: