Saturday, August 8, 2026

Pan Con Bistec | Cuban Steak Sandwich

Photo from Latina
Mom Meals

Cuban food has always been a little bit of a mystery to me, but it's one I've been happy to explore whenever the opportunity comes along. My Aunt Julie is Cuban, and while I only had the chance to share a handful of meals with her and my uncle that really highlighted Cuban cooking, those meals stuck with me. I remember plenty of rice and beans, and one unforgettable chicken dish that was so tender it practically fell off the bone.

Beyond those memories, I haven't had much experience with Cuban cuisine, but every Cuban-inspired dish I've tried has been full of flavor and something I've genuinely enjoyed. So when I came across this recipe, it immediately went on my must-make list.

The first challenge was finding sour orange, or naranja agria, which is a key ingredient in traditional Cuban mojo. After checking everywhere I could think of without any luck, I ended up making my own mojo marinade using a recipe I found online. I've included that below as well.

I marinated the beef for about two hours, and if I make this again, I'll shorten that time. Surprisingly, the citrus became the dominant flavor. It wasn't unpleasant by any means, but it was much stronger than I expected. I think this dish is at its best when the citrus adds brightness in the background rather than taking center stage.

Even with that one adjustment, I enjoyed trying another Cuban-inspired recipe. It reminded me why I've always been drawn to the flavors of Cuban cooking—simple ingredients, bold flavors, and dishes that feel both comforting and memorable.


Pan Con Bistec | Cuban Steak Sandwich
Recipe from Latina Mom Meals
Serves 4
  • 2.2 pounds of cube steak
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • ½ teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic
  • ½ teaspoon of cumin
  • ½ teaspoon of ground oregano
  • 1 packet of Sazon seasoning optional
  • 1 large onion sliced
  • 1- 1 ½ cups of naranja agria or mojo marinade
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 loaf of Cuban bread or French bread
  • mayonnaise as desired

Classic Cuban Mojo Recipe

  • ¾ cup bitter orange juice (or ½ cup fresh lime juice + ¼ cup sweet orange juice)
  • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 8–10 cloves fresh garlic, minced or crushed
  • 1 tbsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • ¼ cup fresh mint or cilantro leaves, finely chopped (optional)

In a large bowl, season steak with salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano, and Sazon. Massage the steak with the seasonings. Add in onions and naranja agria. [Or if you can't find naranja agria make the mojo marinade by whisking everything togher.] Let it marinate for 15 minutes.

Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add in steak and onions. Cook steak for 4-6 minutes per side, or until desired level of done. May be done in batches. 

Leave the onions until as softened as desired. 

To assemble the sandwiches, cut steak one steak into 3-4 slices and place it on a cut 4 inch Cuban bread that has been smeared with mayonnaise. Top with onions and close the sandwich. Serve.

No comments: