Monday, August 24, 2026

Ginger Sesame Glazed Salmon

Photo from Ruled.me
I had one of those “well, I didn’t see that coming” moments at the grocery store recently. I was standing in the meat department comparing chicken prices and trying to decide if I could justify continuing to buy organic. Chicken has gotten ridiculously expensive!

While I was contemplating my life choices in front of the poultry case, I noticed some Coho salmon on sale. I wandered over to investigate. A half fillet, weighing in at about 20 ounces, was actually cheaper than the chicken I had been looking at. So guess what came home with me?

Yep. Salmon instead of chicken.

I did eventually buy the chicken because, let’s be honest, it’s a major part of my protein rotation and I can’t completely abandon it. But I may be taking a little break from the organic chicken for a while. My grocery budget will thank me.

Salmon is one of those foods I really love but don't cook nearly often enough. It's also loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, so it falls into that wonderful category of foods that are both delicious and good for you. That's a win in my book.

This recipe is a keeper. I made one change right off the bat, though: I did not fry the salmon. Frying salmon makes my house smell like a fish market, and that smell seems to hang around for days. No thanks.

Instead, I baked the salmon at 400°F for about 10 minutes, give or take depending on the thickness. While it was in the oven, I brought the marinade to a boil in a small saucepan so I could use it as a sauce. Once the salmon came out, I brushed the sauce over the top.

Simple, easy and very little fuss.

Bottom line: I'd absolutely make this again. The ingredients are straightforward and are mostly things I already have in the pantry, and the salmon cooks quickly. And since I apparently have a dozen other salmon recipes waiting in the wings, this gives me one more good excuse to buy it when it's on sale.

Especially when it's cheaper than chicken. Now that's a grocery store miracle.

Ginger Sesame Glazed Salmon
Recipe from Ruled.me
Serves 4
  • 10 ounces salmon filet
  • 2 T soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 T rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 T Fish Sauce
  • 1 T sugar free ketchup
  • 2 T white wine

Add all of the ingredients except for sesame oil, ketchup and white wine to a small tupperware container.

Marinade ingredients in the liquids for about 10-15 minutes.

Bring a pan to high heat and add sesame oil. Once you see the first whisp of smoke, add fish skin side down.

Let fish cook and skin crisp, then flip and cook on the other side (about 3-4 minutes per side, depending on thickness). Add all marinate liquids to the pan and let it boil with the fish when you flip it.

Remove fish from pan and set aside. Add ketchup, and white wine to marinate liquids. Let simmer for 5 minutes to reduce. Serve on the side.

No comments: