Thursday, January 11, 2024

Salsa Verde Chicken with Rice

If you've been a cook for as long as I have, it's easy to imagine a meal and work with what's in your pantry. It wasn't always this easy for me, but I've cooked enough over the last 4 years (630 new recipes total) that I've got the skills needed to "throw" things together. If you know the basics of what makes up a recipe; then you're good to go. 

Tonight I had a chicken breast I had defrosted and didn't really have a recipe I felt like making. So I scanned my pantry. What came out of it is what I'm calling Salsa Verde Chicken. 

I had this jar of Salsa Verde by Herdez. I really have no idea why this is in my pantry to be honest. It's been in there for a couple of months and I've been thinking about what to do with it. I had thought about just getting chips and eating it, but that seemed lame. So instead I thought about adding it to a few other things. 

I thought about a salsa verde cream sauce would be delightful. And thus Salsa Verde Chicken was born. 



Salsa Verde Chicken with Rice
Serves 2 -3 ish

1 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 T olive oil
1 c chicken broth
1 c salsa verde
1/2 c c half and half (or heavy whipping cream)

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the chicken and season with salt/pepper or seasoning of choice. Cook until chicken is no longer pink in center.

Pour in the chicken broth and salsa verde in to the pan. Stir and bring to a rapid boil.

Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes; until it thickens. Remove from heat and add in the half and half. Stir to combine. Side note; I heat my half and half so it doesn't get shocked and curdle. I don't know that it would, but I didn't want to eat curdled cream sauce. 

Pour over rice and Enjoy. 

No comments: