Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Cube Steak Mushroom Casserole

Photo from I Am
Homesteader
Tonight was book club. And when I have the ladies over it's always a good time for me to whip out a casserole recipe. Casserole recipes are hard for me as a single person. It makes too much food and I'm not a leftover person. 

This was a good recipe. It had too much liquid in it, but that could have been me. I didn't read the recipe well enough and didn't have 2 cans of French onion soup or Beef consommé. To make the difference I added 20 oz of veg broth. I feel like that's too much liquid. We had a lot of liquid in the pan. 

I'd also recommend stirring the casserole after the first 30 minutes. There was some rice that was still a little crunchy. 

I added sliced onions too. I sautéed the onions and mushrooms before I put them in the casserole. I'd do that again for sure. 

Bottom line, I'd make this again. As we ate it there was some discussion about how good this would be with potatoes instead of rice. So maybe I'll try that some day. 

Cube Steak Mushroom Casserole
Recipe from I Am Homesteader
Serves 8
  • 1 pound cube steak, diced
  • 2 c long-grain white rice, uncooked
  • 2 cans (10.5 ounces each) French onion soup
  • 2 cans (10.5 ounces each) beef consommé
  • 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms, or canned
  • ½ c unsalted butter, sliced into pats
  • green onions or chives, chopped for garnish

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

To the prepared baking dish, add the cube steak, uncooked rice, French onion soup, beef consommé, and mushrooms. Stir to combine.

Top the rice mixture with pats of butter.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking, uncovered, for an additional 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and tender.

Fluff the rice and serve garnished with chives or green onion.

No comments: