Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Portuguese Chicken with Mushrooms & Port Wine

Photo from Portugueserecipes.ca
After returning from Portugal I spent some time looking up Portuguese recipes for our Portuguese
Sunday dinner. This was one of the recipes I found and I finally got a chance to make it. 

The Pantry Goat came over tonight to talk PM stuff and I thought she'd enjoy this meal. I served this with mashed potatoes and it was the perfect side to this. 

If you've had Chicken Madeira or Chicken Marsala, the flavors are similar. NOT the same, but similar. The sweet, tartness of the Port really adds an amazing flavor to this dish. 

I thought I followed the recipe but realized only after dinner that I didn't dredge my chicken in flour. Frankly, I don't think you need to. I just let the liquid boil longer so it reduced down. 

I also added a splash of cream to it because, why not?

I'd make this again, and again, and again. It's being added to my favorites too.

Portuguese Chicken with Mushrooms & Port Wine
Recipe from Portugueserecipes.ca
Serves 4

  • 1 c flour
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Ground black pepper (to taste)
  • Oregano (to taste)
  • 1 lb of chicken breast, cut into steaks
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 T butter
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 c fresh cut mushrooms
  • Salt and black pepper (to taste)
  • 1/2 c Port wine
  • 1/2 c chicken broth

In a large bowl, combine the flour with some salt, black pepper and oregano (to taste).

Add the chicken steaks to the flour mixture and move them around so they are covered with the mixture and remove any excess flour.

Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is well cooked inside and golden on the outside, 5 to 8 minutes on each side.

Drain the chicken in a dish lined with absorbent paper.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the same skillet over medium heat, add the garlic let it brown slightly, than add the mushrooms, and cook for about 10 minutes.

Season with salt and black pepper, then add the Port wine and chicken broth.

Transfer the chicken steaks to a pan and pour the sauce with the mushrooms over it.

Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.

Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

Serve the steaks over boiled rice sprinkled with chopped parsley.

Recipe & Photo Credit: milrecetascocina.com

No comments: