Monday, January 15, 2024

Best Balsamic Marinade for Chicken

Its freaking freezing outside. And I think I'm the only person who choose to grill tonight. To be fair I could have broiled the chicken, but no thanks. I'm a grilling girl. 

This was a delicious marinade. I sliced the chicken breast in half horizontally to make two smaller cutlets. Then marinaded that. I marinated them for 5 hours. 

I did not add the Rosemary. Blech. Not a fan. But I did add the basil, which I often don't have in my spice cabinet for some reason. Only recently bought it. I should also state that I just realized the recipe called for fresh basil and I used dried. Boy am I glad I didn't put in the 2T it called for. I put in 1 tablespoon. 

Make this recipe. You won't regret it. It's flavorful and low carb. I swapped the honey out for low carb honey, but even if you use the regular honey the carb count would be pretty low.

Best Balsamic Marinade for Chicken
Recipe from Lemon Blossoms
Serves 4
  • 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
  • 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
  • 1 large lemon juiced, about 1/4 cup
  • 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 garlic cloves minced
  • 1 T fresh rosemary finely chopped
  • 2 T fresh basil finely chopped
  • 2 T honey optional
  • 2 tsp sea salt or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper or to taste

Place 1 chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap or in a resealable plastic bag. Using a meat pounder or rolling pin, pound the chicken lightly into an even thickness. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts.

In a large resealable bag, mix together the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, basil, honey, salt and pepper. If using a bowl, whisk the ingredients to combine.

Add the chicken and toss until coated with the marinade. If using a resealable bag, gently squeeze the air out. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 4 hours in the refrigerator.

When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before cooking.

TO GRILL :

Preheat grill over medium-high heat to 400 to 450ºF (204 to 232ºC).

Carefully grease the cooking grates with the oil.

Keep one burner off for indirect heat cooking.

Place the chicken on the direct heat side of the grill and close the lid.

Cook each side for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the chicken and move it over the indirect heat side of the grill.

Cook covered until the recommended internal temperature is reached (see notes), time will depend on the thickness and type of chicken.

Remove from the grill and allow it to rest for 5 – 10 minutes before serving or slicing.

No comments: