Sunday, January 14, 2024

Crazy Old Bag Lady’s Bean & Ham Soup

Did I mention it's cold here in Seattle? It was 13F when I got up yesterday and it never got higher than 19F. BRRR. A cold day means soup to me. Thankfully when I planned for this week's meals I planned a soup meal seeing that the cold weather was coming. 

My dad loved white bean and ham hock soup. We had it at least once a year and I loved it. It's an easy soup to make for me. This recipe is a variant of that soup and is way easy to make too. 

It does require you plan ahead and buy beans to soak. I'm telling you, soaking your own beans makes a world of difference in a soup. They're also less expensive than canned beans. If you're in a pinch, you can swap in canned beans for the soaked beans, just cut down on the water. 

I did not have leftover ham so I bought a thick ham steak and diced it. I love those ham steaks and I use them all the time. 

I managed to forget potatoes again. I think I have a blind spot for potatoes and when I see them in a soup or stew recipe I think I'll remember and don't put it on my grocery list. It's completely stupid to assume I'd remember. Honestly though, I didn't miss the potato in this soup. 

I also cut this recipe in half because I don't need enough soup for 10 people. 

Crazy Old Bag Lady’s Bean & Ham Soup
Recipe from Just A Pinch
Serves 10

  • 1 lb navy beans
  • 12 c water
  • 2-3 c leftover ham; cut into chunks (you can use a ham hock as well, I just like a lot of meat in my soups)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 c chopped onion
  • 1 c chopped celery
  • 1 c chopped carrots
  • 1 potato, peeled and chopped
  • 2 clove garlic, chopped
  • 3-4 dash Louisiana hot sauce
  • salt and pepper (fresh ground) to taste.
  • 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley

To soak beans: In a large bowl, cover beans with water by 2 inches and let soak for 8-10 hours (overnight) and drain.

In a large heavy pot, combine beans with ham hock or the chunk ham, bay leaf and 12 cups of water. Bring to boil and reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are just tender. Stir in onion, celery, carrot, potato, and garlic. Simmer for another hour or until soup is very thick.

Remove ham hock and strip off meat from the bone. Discard the rind and fat.

Stir meat into soup and season with salt and pepper.

Stir in parsley and serve hot.

No comments: