Monday, January 1, 2024

Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Here we go! New year, new goal. 170 new recipes is the magic number for this year. It'll be a stretch, but that's what some goals are all about. 

Damn Delicious got this recipe right! Even not including some of the ingredients (they didn't make it on my grocer list for some reason) this recipe was spot on. The combo of flavors mix together to give you that beautiful sweet and umami flavor. Then you add the peanut sauce to it and WOOWZA! That's a home run. 

What did I mess up? Well, I didn't get carrots or mushrooms for some inexplicable reason. I checked my grocery and they were not on them. So I added some cabbage that I had on had. Not a bad addition I'd say. 

I added about a Tablespoon of soy to the chicken mixture. It needed a little more salty to balance the hoisin. 

To the peanut sauce, I added about 4 tablespoons of warm water. The recipe says 3 ish, but I wanted my sauce to be thinner. Didn't impact the flavor I don't think. 


Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Recipe from Damn Delicious

Serves 4

  • 1 T vegetable oil
  • 1 T toasted sesame oil
  • 1 pound ground chicken
  • 1 (3.5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, diced
  • 1 carrot, peeled and diced
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T freshly grated ginger
  • 1/4 c hoisin sauce
  • 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
  • 1 tsp fish sauce
  • 2 T chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 head butter lettuce

FOR THE PEANUT SAUCE:
  • 3 T creamy peanut butter
  • 1 T reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1 T freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp chili garlic sauce, or more, to taste
  • 1 tsp freshly grated ginger

To make the peanut sauce, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, chili garlic sauce and ginger in a small bowl. Whisk in 2-3 tablespoons water until desired consistency is reached; set aside.

Heat vegetable oil and sesame oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground chicken, mushrooms, carrot and shallot. Cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes, making sure to crumble the chicken as it cooks; drain excess fat.

Stir in garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Stir in hoisin sauce, chili garlic sauce and fish sauce until heated through, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.

To serve, spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, taco-style, drizzled with peanut sauce.

No comments: