Thursday, August 17, 2023

Tomato Chicken Pasta (109 of 250)

This recipe had such promise. Tomato base pasta sauces are my jam. But something wasn't quite right. 

I'd change a couple things up if I made this again. 

1) didn't need to dredge chicken in flour. I never so. I know it's used to thicken the sauce, but it's one place to cut back on carbs (I know...I'm eating spaghetti)

2) I'd deglaze with the wine and follow that step, but I wouldn't add the tomato paste. I'd add the cream first. Adding cream to a tomato based sauce tends to cause the cream to curdle. And it did this time too. I even took the sauce off the heat and let it cool a little before adding the cream. Still got grainy and curdle. 

3) DO NOT add the parmesan cheese while the sauce is hot. The heat will definitely separate the cheese. I was lucky this time, but it's a good reminder. And for God's said, buy a block of parmesan and grate it yourself when adding to a sauce. It' makes it taste better and melts better.  

I also completely missed the seasonings to be added. They were listed "below the fold" and I missed them. Which makes why it tasted not so great before I added my own seasonings (which weren't too far off on these.)

Tomato Chicken Pasta
Recipe from The Cozy Cook

Serves 4

Chicken
  • 2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 1/3 c flour
  • 1-2 T olive oil

Pasta/Sauce
  • ½ c dry white wine, see notes
  • 3 T butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 T tomato paste
  • ¾ c chicken broth
  • 1 ¼ c half and half, (half cream, half milk)
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • ¾ c grated Parmesan cheese
  • ½ lb. linguine
Seasonings
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ½ teaspoon dried basil
  • ½ teaspoon mustard powder


Slice the chicken in half lengthwise to create 2 thinner slices. Season each side and dredge it in flour. Sear in olive oil. Set aside and let it rest for 10 minutes, then cut into strips.

Add white wine, butter, and garlic to the same skillet. Use a silicone spatula to “clean” the pan and let the liquid bubble gently and reduce by half.

Add tomato paste, followed by chicken broth, half and half, honey, hot sauce, and seasonings. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to low while you cook the pasta.

Gradually stir Parmesan cheese into the sauce just before adding the pasta.

Add the drained pasta along with the cooked chicken and toss to combine and heat through. Serve!


No comments: