Sunday, August 13, 2023

Best Ever Baked Beans (106 of 150)

Photo from Dance
Around the Kitchen
Again with the "best ever". I tell ya, if you put that in front of any recipe, it had better bring it. 

Tonight was Sunday dinner. We had a small group so I opted to forego the theme (Peruvian) and do ribs instead. Ribs are much easier in a small group (and less expensive). I did my famous ribs for the crew and as usual they loved them. The only time this family seems to be silent is when we're eating ribs. All you hear is "mmmmm". 

Along side ribs, I usually do Mom's Mac Salad and buy canned baked beans. This time, I opted for this broccoli salad and these "Best Ever" Baked beans. 

Let's start with what went wrong. 

I, um, didn't get burger. So these beans didn't get the burger in them. Honestly, I didn't miss them. Bakes beans don't get burger to me. 

What went right? These reminded me of the beans my mom used to make! I'd make these again (without burger) again in a heart beat. Super easy to make. 

I did mine in a slow cooker since I had the oven taken over by ribs. 


Best Ever Baked Beans
Recipe from Dance Around the Kitchen

Serves 18 (so I cut this bad boy in half)
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 8 slices bacon
  • One 28 ounce can pork and beans drained
  • One 8 ounce can homestyle pork and beans
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar

Brown the ground beef, drain and set aside.

Cook the bacon until crispy in the oven or in a skillet. Let cool then crumble or chop into small pieces.

In a large mixing bowl (or in the slow cooker), combine the beans, ground beef, bacon, onions, sugar, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard and vinegar.

Cook the beans:

In a slow cooker on high for 1 hour (stirring occasionally) or low for 2-3 hours OR

In a saucepan on medium-low heat for 30 minutes (stirring occasionally) OR

In a baking dish in a 350°F oven for 1 hour

No comments: