Sunday, July 31, 2022

Steak Milanese (Recipe 97 of 150)

I really don't know why I bother to try to pan fry anything. All I do is burn the outside to a crisp and the inside is still not done. Tonight, though, I thought I had out smarted the pan frying issue and turned down my heat. Still got the outside a bit crispy. I think I just not pan fry. 

I like steak Milanese in general. I mean who wouldn't? It's steak fried nice and crispy. The addition of the bruschetta over it really was delicious. I threw in some small mozzarella balls cuz I had them and had to use them. 

I probably won't make this again. But not because it wasn't good. I just don't think it was great enough to warrant making again. If I did I'd also use thinner steak than cube steak. May make the frying better. 


Steak Milanese
Recipe from ???

Serves 4-6

1 lb Loin steak, trimmed (traditionally cube steak is used so if you're trying to save $$ feel free)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 c flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 c bread crumbs
1 c roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 c red onion, diced
3 T Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
2 T capers
2 T chopped fresh oregano
2 T olive oil
2 T fresh lemon juice
1/3 c vegetable oil

Cut steaks into eight 2 ounce pieces, then pound them to 1/4" thick. (Or do as I did and buy the thin sliced sirloin). Season both sides with salt and pepper.

Place flour, eggs and crumbs into three separate bowls. Dredge first in flour, then egg then crumbs. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet; chill for 30 minutes.

Combine tomatoes, onion, kalamata olives, capers, oregano, olive oil and lemon juice. Set aside.

Heat vegetable oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Fry cutlets in batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with all cutlets.

Top cutlets with tomato relish and serve with linguine on the side.

No comments: