Saturday, July 2, 2022

30-Minute Barbecue Chicken Pizza (Recip 83 of 150)

BBQ Chicken Pizza
ready for the oven
When I order pizza out it almost always is a pepperoni covered pizza. Or some other type of meat lovers pizza. I never order BBQ Chicken Pizza. That said, I've made BBQ Chicken pizza a couple of times at home and every time I think, "Gosh. I really like this. You should order this out." The problem, as I see it, is that not all BBQ sauce is made the same. That makes or breaks this recipe to me. 

I did not make pizza dough for this. I bought dough. I'm afraid of dough and making it so I cheat and buy it. Rolling it out makes me feel like it's homemade enough. 

I did not use shredded precooked chicken. I don't particularly like reheated chicken. Instead I took a chicken breast, diced it really small, put some seasoning and sauteed it to get a nice crust on the chicken. 

The BBQ sauce I use is Sweet Baby Rays. I know. I know. It has corn syrup in it, but damn it's so good. 

I'd make this again in a heart beat. That being said, it's not like you need a recipe for making this pizza. If you have ever made pizza before you know: sauce, cheese, meat, veggies, cheese, bake. 


30-Minute Barbecue Chicken Pizza
Recipe from Just a Taste

Serves 4
  • 1 pound store-bought or homemade pizza dough
  • Cornmeal, for dusting baking sheet (JW: I used parchment paper)
  • 1/2 c store-bought barbecue sauce, divided
  • 1 c diced rotisserie chicken
  • 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/3 c thinly sliced red onions
  • Chopped cilantro, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 500ºF. 

Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface until it is roughly 12 inches wide and 1/4-inch thick.

Invert a baking sheet and sprinkle it liberally with cornmeal. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, toss together the diced chicken with half (¼ cup) of the barbecue sauce. Spread the remaining ¼ cup barbecue sauce on the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges. 

Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese atop the barbecue sauce, and then evenly distribute the coated chicken atop the cheese. Scatter the red onions atop the chicken.

Bake the pizza for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating it half-way through, until the crust is fully baked and golden brown. Remove the pizza from the oven to a cutting board, sprinkle it with chopped cilantro, slice and serve.

No comments: