Thursday, July 7, 2022

Chili Lime Shrimp Bites (Recipe 85 of 150)

There used to be a restaurant in Bellevue called Ztejas. It was a good restaurant and one I frequented a lot back in the day when I worked across the street from it. They had this shrimp bite sorta thingys that were to die for. They had a flat tostito thing, little guac on it, a sauteed shrimp with some sorta southwest seasoning, and topped with some type of amazing salsa (just a little dollop). They were, in my opinion, amazing. 

Sadly, Ztejas closed and I was left craving those little shrimpees. Then as if the universe is talking to me I stumble on to this glorious recipe. 

I made this last night for bookclub and y'all, it's delicious AND easy. I'd make this again in a heartbeat! 

One small adjustment I'd make next time. The store bought guac I got was a little too liquidy (it's a technical term). That caused the tostitos to soften a little as it sat. I think if you used a more hearty guac - or homemade - you wouldn't run into this issue. Honestly, we at them so fast it wasn't a big issue. 

Chili Lime Shrimp Bites
Recipe from Barefeetinthekitchen.com

Serves 12
  • 12 large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 T taco seasoning homemade or store-bought
  • 1 T light flavored olive oil
  • 1 T fresh lime juice
  • ½ c guacamole homemade or store-bought
  • 12 Tostitos scoops
  • 1 T fresh cilantro, chopped
  • additional lime wedges, for serving

Place the shrimp in a small bowl and sprinkle generously with the spice mix. Toss to coat. Set aside to marinate for at least 5 minutes.

Heat the olive in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook 2-3 minutes. Flip the shrimp, or stir, and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until shrimp are opaque and slightly pink. Immediately remove from the heat and transfer to a plate. Squeeze lime over the shrimp.

Spoon a heaping tablespoon of guacamole onto each tortilla chip. Top each chip with a shrimp and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with additional lime wedges, if desired.

No comments: