Sunday, July 3, 2022

Chicken Chop Suey (Recipe 84 of 150)

This recipe reminded me of my mom's stir fry recipe. It was tasty. I made a few modifications. One because and one because I forgot an ingredient. 

The first modification was I didn't bother dredging the chicken in cornstarch. I prefer chicken without it so I didn't bother. It was fine. 

The second is that I somehow forgot to buy snow peas and mushrooms. I had water chestnuts so I put those in. And I gotta say, I think they were better.  

I'd make this recipe again. It was super easy and way cheaper than buying Chinese food in a restaurant.

Chicken Chop Suey
Recipe from Just a Pinch
Serves 4

Sauce: 
3/4 c low sodium chicken broth
3 T low sodium soy sauce
2 T mirin or rice wine
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 T cornstarch

The rest:
1 lb chicken breast cut in thin bite size pieces
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion cut in half moon slices
2 ribs celery chopped
2 carrots chopped
8 oz mushrooms sliced
2 c snow peas (6 ounces)
2 clove garlic minced

Whisk together the chicken broth, soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Set aside.

Combine the chicken and cornstarch in a large zipper bag and shake to coat. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. Set aside.

Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium high heat in same skillet. Add the onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms cooking until the mushrooms are golden brown and the carrots are crisp tender. Add the snow peas and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Plate the vegetables with the chicken.

Whisk the sauce ingredients that you set aside. Add them to the skillet and cook over medium low heat until thickened whisking several times. Add the chicken and vegetables back to the skillet with the gravy and stir to warm.

No comments: