Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Steak Marsala

I love steak. And I love steak with mushrooms. This is a nice marrying of the two flavors with some Marsala wine. 

I didn't pan fry my steak. I'm not a fan of that. I like the good old grill for steaks. So I started this recipe with the mushrooms, and then went on from there. 

Helpful hint: Have your ingredients out and measured. This sauce moves pretty quickly. I didn't have my stuff out and so I found myself rushing around the kitchen. When I do that I miss an ingredient. 


Steak Marsala
Recipe from Cook's Country Feb / March 2019

3 T extra virgin olive oil
12 oz cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced thin
Salt and pepper
4 (6 oz) top sirloin steaks, trimmed
1 shallot, minced
1 T flour
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
3/4 c plus 1 T sweet marsala
4 T unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces and chilled
1/2 c chicken broth
1 T minced fresh parsley
2 tsp lemon juice

Heat 1 T olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add cremini mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook, covered until mushrooms release their liquid, about 3 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are well browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. 

Pat steaks dry and season with salt and pepper. Add 1 T oil to pan at medium heat until smoking. Add steaks and cook until well browned on the first side, about 4 minutes. Flip steaks and cook until well browned on second side, 4-6 minutes. check temperature and continue cooking until it reaches desired doneness. 

Heat remaining 1 T of oil in empty skillet over medium-high heat. add shallot, flour, garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper. Cook until shallot begins to soften, about 1 minutes. Stir in 3/4 cup Marsala wine, and 1/2 c chicken broth cook until reduced to 1 cup and slightly thickened, 5-7 minutes. 

Reduce heat to low and whisk in butter 1 piece at a time, until emulsified. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, cremini mushrooms and remaining 1 T Marsala wine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Slice steaks thin and transfer to warm platter. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve.

1 comment:

TomP said...

Jenn, this was fabulous! I just cooked a whole RibEye and put it the sauce on top of that. Oh, and I didn’t have any Marsala so I mashed together sherry and some sweet vermouth and hey, turned out just fine.